Welcome to Mrs. Gongaware's Reading Classroom!!!
I am looking forward to a great year of learning and growing as readers together!
About the Reading Improvement Program
- Students are evaluated by the reading specialist using the Fountas and Pinnell Benchmark Assessment System and SIPPS Assessment. These assessments provide information about the students' reading levels and reading abilities.
- The Reading Improvement Program involves working with small groups of students daily during the Guided Reading block of Literacy. Students meet with the reading specialist or reading paraprofessional five to six days out of the six-day cycle depending on their grade level.
- Students meeting with the reading specialist or reading paraprofessional are pulled out during Guided Reading to receive more intensive intervention than they would receive in the classroom. The intervention provided serves as the students' Guided Reading. Students do not miss any new instruction that takes place during the Literacy Block.
- The reading specialist and classroom teacher work collaboratively and co-plan regularly to ensure that the instruction provided correlates with the PA Core Standards and Norwin Curriculum. Instruction is differentiated to meet the individual needs of students in order to ensure academic growth.
- Your child will also have a Google Classroom for Reading Club. The Google Classroom will be primarily used to post valuable resources for reading for both students and parents/guardians. Required assignments will only be posted on Google Classroom for students on days school is cancelled due to inclement weather.
Features of Our Classroom
- We will read high-interest fiction and nonfiction text throughout the year.
- We will master decoding strategies that help us figure out tricky words and focus on enjoying our reading.
- We will work on phonemic awareness, phonics/word work, and sight words that will help us develop into better readers and writers.
- We will master comprehension strategies and close reading to help us understand what we read more in depth.
- We will master and apply reading skills to help us analyze elements of reading in both fiction and nonfiction text.