Medications at school
Sometimes medications need to be given during school hours. Certain procedures must be followed to ensure the safety of all children. No medication will be given, including over-the-counter products, without parental authorization and medical prescription for a doctor. Medication Administration Forms may be obtained through the school nurse. (Form attached below)
1. PRESCRIPTION ORDER – All medications even over-the-counter-medicines must have a prescription from the doctor with the child’s name, medication to be administered, dosage and frequency/time to be administered.
2. LABELED PRESCRIPTION BOTTLE/CONTAINER – At the pharmacy, ask for a container for school with the complete prescription label on it.
3. ORIGINAL CONTAINER – All over-the-counter medicines must come in the original package/box.
4. MEDICATION ADMINISTRATION FORM – Parent must sign this form and return it to the school nurse.
5. EXPIRATION DATE – Check the expiration date of medications before sending them into school.
6. All medication is to be stored and administered in the Health Room.
7. The child is responsible for reporting to the Health Room for his/her medication at the designated time.
8. If cough drops or throat lozenges are needed, please send in with a note to the nurse. Cough drops and lozenges will be kept and administered in the nurse’s office as we are concerned about the choking hazard they present to children
9. Students are permitted to possess and self-administer asthma inhaler and/or Epi-pen in school under certain conditions. Contact your child’s school nurse for details.
10. EPINEPHRINE OPT-OUT – The Pennsylvania Public School Code, Section 1414.2(g) allows parents/guardians to request an exemption to the administration of epinephrine auto-injector for their student. In order to request this exemption, contact the school nurse to make an appointment to discuss this decision, review and sign the opt-out form. Parents/guardians wishing to choose this option should meet with the school nurse to discuss their decision and then review and sign the opt-out form in the presence of the school nurse.